Subject: [Leica] Getting into printing.. need advice?
From: octabod at gmail.com (Luis Miguel Castañeda Navas)
Date: Sun Sep 7 12:45:15 2008

On 07/09/2008, at 21:03, Daniel Ridings wrote:

> The LUG print exchange has some beautiful black-and-white so I'm back
> studying these pages and trying to catch up with where I left off.

I do not hate/like the repetitive parts of darkroom work more than
scanning, what I really hate is loosing time either in the dark or
sitting in my computer, so I really appreciate two pieces of gear that
reduces the time spent on the darkroom greatly, and well worth the
money.

One, a vertical slot processor, which allows leaving the chemicals
inside for the next session. Not having to clean everything everytime
is pure luxury, plus reduces the fumes and oxidation of developer next
to nothing. I was quite surprised that some developers were still fine
one month after the last session. Some of those are running for
peanuts in ebay.

The RH designs analyzer (or zone master), which -among other useful
things- places tones on a scale based upon precise metering on the
enlarger's projected image, suggesting both exposure and paper grade
vanishing the need for a lot of test strips. If you take some time to
calibrate it for your desired papers, your first print will be fine
leaving on you the fine tuning of the image. I will buy this one new,
and althought not cheap, savings in paper and time will pay for it
quickly.

btw, is there a lug print exchange?

I feel better, to hell with photography, art, women, and all
E. Weston, 1924
http://luis.imaginarymagnitude.net/

Replies: Reply from marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small) ([Leica] <sigh> Getting into printing.. need advice?)
Reply from marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small) ([Leica] Getting into printing.. need advice?)