Subject: [Leica] Getting into printing.. need advice?
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Mon Sep 8 06:25:36 2008

Several points:

First, dark room work is not for everyone:  many
photographers detested it back in the day when it
was the only game in town and farmed it
out.  Other guys quit doing photography as they
loved dark room work.  It is an individual choice.

Second, go for the 23C but get a late one.  These
have a dichroic head which permits the ready
printing of black and white single-grade papers,
multigrade papers, and color prints, whether RA-4
negatives or Ilfochrome prints from
chromes.  Leitz V-35's are dirt cheap now -- I
bought mine for less than $500 around 1993 when
the local paper dumped nine of them.  They have
gone down in price since then.

Third, get the BEST enlarging lenses
possible.  Nikon makes adequate enlarging lenses
and some swear by them.  In my experience, the
Schneider lenses are better and the best are the
Rodentock APO-Rodagons.  I paid less than $100 on
eBay for two of them (50mm and 80mm) around
2002.  The Leitz Focotar-2 does have an epic
reputation:  I have owned two and used them both
but was not overly impressed with them and sold
them, but, then, I got both of them for less than $10.

Fourth, get QUALITY stuff as it changes
frustration and disappointment into
happiness.  Get King Concept reels for developing
film.  Get Kindermann tanks.  Try to find a Leitz
printing easel.  Get a quality timer.  Get a
decent LED stopwatch to time the processing.  Get
a Beseler roller drive and a variety of their
drums if you want to do color work.

Fifth, do NOT get the sort of red safelight shown
in even current Hollywood films.  Those only work
with orthochromatic films:  you need a dark
yellow-green filter for black and white
panchromatic films.  Color work is best done in
the dark until the film is in the developing
drum, when the overhead lights come on.

Sixth, it is best to avoid fluorescent lights in
a dark room as they continue to emit radiation
which can fog the film even after they are turned
off.  This is more of an issue with VERY bright
lights and VERY low ceilings and I have never had
the problem but the former guru of all things
dark room, Ctein, used to warn us regularly of the danger.

Seventh, ENJOY the experience.  It is a
miraculous joy to bring an image from nowhere, to
turn film into negatives and negatives into a
print.  It is a joy to select the tools used,
dodging and burning and so forth, the grade used,
the interplay of exposure and
f/stop.  (Hint:  for REALLY dense negatives, I
use a 1.5/5cm CZJ Sonnar in LTM for
miniature-format (35mm) printing and a 2/8.5cm
CZJ Sonnar in LTM for mediaum-format work,
generally wide-open.  Both work like a charm as
printing lenses but, then, didn't Carl Zeiss invent optics?

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Message from octabod at gmail.com (Luis Miguel Castañeda Navas) ([Leica] Getting into printing.. need advice?)