Subject: [Leica] <sigh> Getting into printing.. need advice?
From: robertmeier at usjet.net (Robert Meier)
Date: Mon Sep 8 10:16:55 2008

Marc,

I think we should welcome all the darkroom haters and be happy their ranks
are growing.   It just makes the fiberbase B&W prints we make all the rarer
and more valuable.

Robert

A fellow asks us to share our thoughts on how to
set up a chemical darkroom.  So far, most of the
stating how much they hate darkroom work.  That
is so much sour grapes and is not responsive to the question asked.

First, can you digital folks stand aside or, if
you insist, set up your OWN thread of "Why I Hate
Analog Work" or the like.  Otherwise, keep your
bitter, vicious, and nasty thoughts to
yourself.  It is a BIG universe and one easily
capable of including those of us who LIKE analog
work, those of us who are incapable of adapting
to digital, and those who like digital
work.  Heck, the universe is big enough to
include the 95% of folks who use and like PC's
and the 5% who like and use Mac's.  As they say,
your mileage may vary, but, in the end, it IS a
large and inclusive universe.  I suspect that
most LUG subscribers do not own or wear or have
ever seen a Tilley Hat, but we do spend a LOT of
time talking about these as if they were the
end-all and be-all of existence, not to mention
those specialty shoes Tina wears.  (Me?  I do
analog, cannot figure out digital, use a PC,
walked around yesterday in Hannah without a hat
on at all, and spend ten months of the year barefoot -- retirement is
great.)

Second, let us not pour urine on an enquiring
mind who wants to get into a chemical
darkroom.  Encouragement is in order, not tales
of how much some of you HATED the experience.  I
would never discourage someone from going
digital:  if they are happy to accept the
constraints, that is their choice and more power
to them.  Others are happy to accept the
constraints of analog and more power to them, as well.

Third, I fill my time in the dark room listening
to classical music or old radio shows.  I
happened to be in the dark room when they
announced that Stephane Grappelli had died.-- I
am not wild about Jazz Violin but I did get a
grand two-hour remembrance of his work on my
local NPR station while whomping up several dozen
prints and a couple of rolls of film to
boot.  Duffy's Tavern is a great listen as is the
radio Dragnet or Tales of the Texas
Rangers.   Mozart, Hayden, Bach, Handel ...
anything but the gagging nastiness of piano
sonatas.  Those put me to sleep when they do not make me physically
nauseous.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!