Subject: [Leica] The rangefinder shape / styling is back! - Olympus EP-1
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 01:15:44 -0400

You're right Geoff these DPREVIEW people should have known better than to
put a 4/3's format camera next to a camera with a sensor probably less than
half its size; But bigger than most point and shoot sensors by half like
that especially when you shoot 16/9 format which most people I know with the
camera always do shoot at.
So they both are going for a quality effect with larger sensors and paired
down elegant body configurations which are very very popular now.

It would make perfect sense for LUG people to have a problem with these
cameras
Two issues.
1. In the world of AF people are doing a different kind of grab shooting.
The issue is not that the M8 has a mechanical view finder  rangefinder but a
manual one. Focusing is not something people are doing a lot of worrying
about in the past years.
2. 80 percent of the photography being done now by everybody is by looking
at a flat electronic sensor not looking through a hole. People it turns out
hate looking through holes. So this manner of shooting apparently produces
results which people like and like the manner in which they are doing it.
I've worked that way having looked through holes my hole life and find it
very freeing. Kind of like taking pictures in the future. They way I thought
the future of photography would be like. In the year 2525.

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from ricc at embarqmail.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] The rangefinder shape / styling is back! - Olympus EP-1)