Subject: [Leica] Manali - Photographs
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 16:28:33 +0530

Douglas,
Thanks for looking. There are three very different sets of genes at
work in that part of India, one is the typical plains Indian, the next
is the equally typical mongoloid from Tibet/Ladakh and thirdly there
are those that can pass off comfortably as European or Central Asian;
and you are right, it probably is because all sorts of races have been
going back and forth over this area since ancient times. The other
theory, also possible, is that these people with European features are
descendants of soldiers from Alexander the Great's army, who stayed
back in India when he returned to Macedonia.
Cheers
Jayanand