Subject: [Leica] Death of photojournalism
From: jshul at comcast.net (Jim Shulman)
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 21:25:08 -0400

I recall seeing a harbinger of this in an old Pop Photography magazine from
the early 1960s--it showed a reporter at some small western station doing a
stand-up in front of a tripod-mounted Fairchild Cinephonic 8 (magnetic
striped, single-system regular 8mm sound camera).  The article went on to
say that it allowed sound news footage to be shot by the reporter; the b/w
film was developed as a negative (and electronically reversed to a positive
for broadcast).

Jim Shulman
Wynnewood, PA

Incidentally, my son-in-law, a news anchor for an ABC affiliate TV station
in a major market was issued both a photo capable cell phone and a Kodak HD
pocket sized video camera. He is to snap photos and videos of news worthy
events whenever he comes across them. The pictures cannot be used on air
(yet) because that would violate the news cameramen's union contract but
they are prominently displayed on the station's web site. The station has
fired most of its studio camera operators, camera positioning being done by
computer controlled by the director.

Larry Z