Subject: [Leica] IMG: Information Needed on Cause of Lawn Circle
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 22:19:31 +0100

"Gerry Walden" <gwpics at me.com> wrote

> The presence of mushrooms usually indicates an organic source of
> nutrients, such as a buried tree stump, is nearby. When you see a
> mushroom growing in a lawn, you are only seeing a small part of the
> fungus. The fungus also grows underground as a thread-like mass that  is
> called mycelium. This mycelium tends to grow in all directions from  a
> central point. Thus, an invisible circular pattern occurs. The  fruiting
> bodies (mushrooms) then tend to appear in a circular pattern."
>
> This was taken from
> http://www.ppdl.purdue.edu/ppdl/expert/Fairy_Rings.html

Gerry is right. We had the same problem on my parent's lawn. Drove my father
quite mad trying to eradicate it without success. So much so as the fungus
circle grew, more and more of his hair fell out. This turned out to be a
coincidence, as hair loss is hereditary. Mine has now fallen out without the
aggravation of mycelium :-)

Douglas
_________
Douglas Barry