Subject: [Leica] Thousand of street photographer's negatives found after her death.
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 15:07:09 -0400

> Jim Shulman wrote: "This is precisely why I fear the passing of film:
> can you imagine anyone
>> finding these as digital images in a storage locker?"
>
> I agree with Jim. Not only will the negatives not be around for future
> generations, but there aren't going to be photographs in shoe boxes for
> them to find.
>
> A lot of stored digital images will simply disappear.
>
> This is not a reason to give up digital, but it behooves us to print
> and print and print, especially family photos and others we cherish. In
> a few years, they will be locked away on our hard drives which few will
> venture to open.
>
> Top of the day from sunny New Haven where we're supposed to be having a
> Nor'easter, but none's to be seen--Doug

You don't prints for archival reasons.
Prints are way less archival than negatives.
And negatives are way less archival than hard drives.

>From the moment you make your negatives or your prints they start to
decompose. In the case of a color neg you can get a color shift which makes
for an impossible darkroom print.
And negatives are way less archival than hard drives.

If archival issues is your main concern sell all your film cameras and stick
to digital.

Mark William Rabiner