Subject: [Leica] OT: Acrylic vs. Glass
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 17:33:38 -0500

> Dear All,
> ?
> I have started to do a significant amount of framing and was hoping to get
> some input from this community on the pros and cons of glass vs acrylic
> for?presenting photographs. Either would need to be UV resistant and
> non-glare. Also, acrylic would be needed for larger works simply from a
> weight
> point of view.
> ?
> Primarily I'm wondering how this might impact marketability of the image,
> or
> if it would at all. Does the market prefer glass as it is a bit more
> "upscale"
> or is acrylic better for some reason. Which provides the best viewing
> experience? I cannot afford "museum quality" glass and believe it is a bit
> delicate (fingerprints are difficult/impossible to remove).
>
> Thanks,
> Bob
> Bob Adler

You can get in trouble with cheap glass you got from say an Auto windshield
company as it can be green. You'll see the slight green tinge on your white
matt board. And that can be murder on a black and white prints you'd
carefully gotten with the proper print color.  And in you were carful to get
the green out. Even more so than color prints.

If you're selling prints on the internet for 22 bucks its not going to make
any difference.
But if you're getting stuff up in legit galleries for $222 on up then of
course it would.
A good source now for supplies as well as info:
http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.com/category.action?categoryId=125

UV-Protective Acrylite? OP-3  is great stuff light and won't break and very
professional for when you want to mail something. But cost mucho bucks.
Avoid non glare anything its generally looked down upon.
I had a wholesale source in Portland for when I'd hang a show. For metal
frames too. But now no more. They'd gone under before I left. Corbet.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner