Subject: [Leica] good small flash for M9
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 08:59:44 -0700

Philip Forrest offered:
> anyways. <<<

Hi Philip

Now Philip that isn't quite true! Yes I agree in some, very very small
situations, usually family happy snaps and the very odd situation, a flash
is an assisting element. But to refer to it as "hogwash?" One might consider
that a little on the harsh side.

May I suggest you have a look at my three books of the medical profession at
work, where everything is strictly "Leica available light" images! For
example, "Women in Medicine. A Celebration of their work." I shot 500 rolls
of Tri-x using 3 M7's and never used a flash. And every frame was properly
exposed.... "not necessarily a solid picture!"  You don't see those! :-) The
book is a smash hit with both photographers and medical professionals.
Another, "Doctor's Work" is in a class by itself in using only available
light as one views the scene!

Both Sandy Carter and myself never had a flash with us at any time
throughout the weeks of shooting the women, nor did I ever have a yearning
... "if I only had a flash it would've been better." Quite frankly using a
flash in documentary real life photography can, in most cases, destroy both
the actual light that is motivating you and also becomes a major distraction
to the subjects you are shooting. Then everyone knows when the annoying
flashing light goes off! You interrupt when you are supposed to be as silent
and unobtrusive as possible!

> Sometimes flash is necessary.
> Sometimes it's not necessary but adds so much more to the final image
> that not using flash would make the image just boring or not able to be
> seen at all.<<<<

Did I always shoot without flash during my 60 year career? Nope! Like many
others, when I started "flash was expected and used." Certainly using a 4X5
Speed Graphic shooting news paper assignments. But as I became a Leica user
my greatest influence in shooting were some of the greats long gone from
LIFE magazine. And I became a better recorder of what was motivating me to
shoot. The Light, as I saw it on the sunject.... not a flash.

In the BRAVO TV  film doumentray about my life as a photojournalist I make a
strong point ..... "If you can see it! You can shoot it!" By the same token
one needs to believe in their ability to shoot in that fashion, as well as
having the technical ability to handle a camera sometimes at considered
"slow shutter speeds."

Have I screwed up because I didn't have a flash? Yep! I'm the first to admit
it! But the photographer standing beside me tripped his flash on the count
of three and I tripped my shutter at precisely the same time the flash went
off adding extra illumination and saved me ass! ;-) Quite honestly more luck
than good management! ;-)

I still don't own one and it's highly unlikely I'll ever at this late
miserable stage of life.  :-(

I don't see your post as a rant, rather a difference of opinion and style of
shooting. As in, "too each his own."

cheers,
Dr. ted

Message from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] good small flash for M9)