Subject: [Leica] M9 RAW's and B&W
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 07:40:53 +1000

Erik the previews in the camera are made by using JPG conversions from the
Raw files (you cannot view the raw files directly as 'normal' images unless
they are converted). This applies whether or not you are also saving JPG
versions in camera. As Rei noted, your DNG files do have embedded previews.
When you process DNG files in your converter, those previews are optionally
updated at some point dependant on exact develop settings and set
preferences in your converter (I'm referring to LR or ACR).

The important practical point is that all of your colour information is
preserved in your DNG files irrespective of the settings that you have made
in your camera for JPGs and any BW conversion is performed (in the
converter) on a saved copy in a different format (typically TIFF or PSD).
You have learnt a practical and effective technique to visualise shots that
you plan to later convert to BW but your DNG information is unaffected apart
from the embedded previews. Your only negatives are space on your memory
cards and processing time in camera. You are not limited to the BW or other
JPG settings applied in camera. All of the settings that you may adjust for
in camera JPGs have no effect on DNGs saved in the camera (and are greyed
out in the menus). That is as it should be.
 Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman