Subject: [Leica] What are the rumours around Leica and Photokina? WAS : Leica annual report
From: montoid at earthlink.net (Montie Talbert)
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 08:39:18 -0400 (EDT)

IMHO, Leica, utilizing "brand name and reputation", has taken the "Ferrari"
approach in marketing the S2.  Massive sales may not be the intent.

They're trying to appeal to a select group of consumers in the top half
of the economic food chain who buy things because..."It's the best money can
buy", a group that may be a tad larger than some of us VW drivers realize.

Worldwide, there is probably a nice handfull of Pros who feel they will need
to purchase and use this system to maintain an "edge", as misguided as that
may be.

Montie

>I claimed, many months ago, that the chief market for the S2 was rich
amateurs....or, if you prefer  the PC words, well heeled photographers that
are non-full-time-Professionals......

I have hendled an S2.  It was pretty fabulous as an experience in its own
right.  Very nice.  I have seen Leica official marketing shots taken with
the camera, which convinces me of nothing.  ( as a retired marketing person,
I would pick scenes to show the best...and I bet Leica does the same....)
But I can believe the optics are superb, and probably the sensor is good
too.....  So I would grant the S2 may be pretty good....

But the thing costs $50K for a minor system.... who has that much disposable
cash?  Working pros?  I doubt many have customers that really care the
differences the optics can show off....and, more importantly, have clients
that actually will pay for the images....  Amateurs?  sure....

Of course, there is the competitive thing, where Hasselblad already had
market presence..... and others have joined the fray.....and upped the
ante....

George asks the one question that is important.. is this camera financially
a success?

And we have no idea....

There were 2200 DMR's made ( I think I have seen this number, but I have
also seen the number of 1500).....

In perspective, a dribble even compared to the M9 production of 50-100 a

So if they have not SOLD ( made makes no difference how many they have given
away or loaned for the buzz, sold counts!) this many cameras at a retail
level, it is a really poor showing......

And all that R+D was spent not developing what many of us want and would pay
for, a camera that would use R optics.....

We will find out in the future if the S2 was viable in the market

Frank, still hoping for an R10.....against all currrent info.....

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] What are the rumors around Leica and Photokina? WAS : Leica annual report)