Subject: [Leica] (no subject)
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 09:21:42 -0700

Tina Manley offered:

>>There are people over on the LUF who can tell you exactly which Leica lens
you used on a photo.  Since I don't keep notes and can't remember lenses, I
guess sometimes.  Some people correct me and say "That couldn't possibly be
the 35 Summilux, it has the signature of the 35 Summicron."  or something
like that.  I can tell Leica lenses from Canons but not which lens and only
in my own work when I can examine it at 100%.<<<<<

Hi Crew,
When I hear or read about "photographers?" who keep and or have kept all the
exposures, lens, film and every other tidily wink
bit of information, some for years on all their exposures. I have to wonder
if "these people have way too much time on their hands! Years ago I saw that
this was something people did, therefore I thought well, if "HE or SHE" is
doing that it must be of some use? And I began with each exposure a little
note book diligently recording frame after frame until I filled the booklet
in a few days while I'm shooting a magazine assignment, Remember I am being
"PAID" to shoot this assignment and keep up with the writer-journalist I'm
working with. Not make notes on exposures!

Then I asked myself... "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING WASTING TIME WRITING ALL
THIS DOWN AND FOR WHAT COMMON SENSE LOGICAL REASON?"

End of recording nothing that matters after the magical moment you've just
recorded will never occur again. And threw the booklet away! End of
recording all this silliness  and went back to 100% of my thought re-action
process on the next truly important thing! "BEING A PHOTOGRAPHER RECORDING
THE LIFE AND MOMENTS ABOUT ME.... THAT WAS MY JOB!"

A life time in photography and I could never see of what use this could
possibly be.

Maybe if it's in scientific photography, yes no question it might be.

But taking pictures of landscapes? or a million other subjects.... LIKE WHO
CARES BECAUSE IT STILL COMES DOWN TO ..."IS THE PHOTOGRAPH ANY GOOD?" And if
it isn't who the hell cares what the lens , camera or exposure was?

cheers all,
Dr. ted

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] (no subject))
Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] (no subject))