Subject: [Leica] Leica X1: now glasses
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 07:17:39 +0100

Hi John,
I am heavily astigmatic but could get away with hard contact lenses from my
20s until about 6 years ago, when I needed reading glasses too. I reasoned
that if I had to wear specs anyway it may as well be all the time. I use
varifocals now and agree with all your points. Few cameras (or binoculars)
actually have an eyepoint suitable for spectacle wearers.
A friend of mine had laser surgery with his right eye corrected for long
distance and left for reading. He said he got used to it fairly quickly and
now can see long distance and read without glasses.
Being sceptical I asked my optician to make contacts for me to simulate the
effect. Sure enough after about a fortnight I did not directly notice the
difference. However my sight was clearly not quite as good, I could not tell
the species of distant birds any more, for example, so whilst my brain was
compensating my sight was not as good as it could be.
The second alternative was laser surgery and reading glasses. This was a no
starter since my close sight is more useful to me day to day, and I am very
aware that my wife seems to spend a significant proportion of each day
searching for her specs...
Anyway I ended up with varilux ipseo lenses which are great for everything
else but still obviously have the normal shortcomings with cameras.
cheers,
FD