Subject: [Leica] Last Sail of the Season
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard Taylor)
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 23:47:17 -0400

Today. Vineyard Sound.  Wind 20-25 knots building to 25-30 with gusts higher
as the afternoon wore on.  Temp in the low 60s F.  The sun already low in
the sky in the early afternoon but with a light that could cut steel.  You
could see forever.  It was a day for many layers on top but, as usual, I
sailed in shorts.  After the exertion of the row upwind to get to the
mooring I was more than warm enough.  I was sailing with Tom Browne on his
Stone Horse, "Bewitched."

The choppy Sound was full of glints that hurt the eye.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rtaylor/PICKS/2010_boating/P1020954.jpg.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/36zgjnk

With the potent West wind we decided to hug the Falmouth shore to stay in
the lee of the land and avoid the worst of the wind and waves.  Running
before the wind with the Sun on our backs took the chill out of the air and
gave us time for a leisurely lunch and hot mulled cider.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rtaylor/PICKS/2010_boating/P1020986.jpg.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/2wkcqgt

Upwind was a different story.  We sailed with just a staysail and
double-reefed main but even so the boat upwind would be knocked over as much
as 40 degrees in some of the heavier puffs.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rtaylor/PICKS/2010_boating/P1030003.jpg.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/37qoxwd

The day was so pleasant that neither of us wanted to abandon such great
sailing any earlier than we had to, so we made two trips up towards Falmouth
Harbor and back to Nobska before heading home to Woods Hole.

I took my turn at the helm. This was on one of the downwind legs.  Nobska
Point light is in the background.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rtaylor/PICKS/2010_boating/P1020982.jpg.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/3yafq6c

With the boat back on the mooring I took one last shot of Woods Hole Great
Harbor from the yacht club porch.  A little more than half full now, it will
empty quickly in the coming few weeks.  A few boats will remain at their
moorings over the winter, the owners having decided to take their chances
with the ice.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rtaylor/PICKS/2010_boating/P1030024-Edit-2.jpg.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/36q9o32

The boat gets pulled for the season next Wednesday.  It was such a great day
I just had to share it.

GF-1 and 20mm pancake.  IS0 200 and 400.  The last picture is a three shot
hand-held pano.

C&C always welcome.

Best,

Dick