Subject: [Leica] Rangefinder error on M9
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 11:02:00 +0000

Hi Howard,
I think what you are seeing here is the effect of "focus shift". It seems
many lenses have a shift in focus with aperture which is normally masked by
the increasing depth of field with aperture closing, and, on film bodies, by
the effectively thick sensitive layer, since film emulsion is fairly thick,
and the film rarely flat anyway, the focus will fall -somewhere- within the
sensitive volume (it is not that much). A digital sensor is flat and
therefore less tolerant of focus shift, the 90mm f2 apo has a tiny depth of
field and at some apertures the plane of focus falls outside the depth of
field due to focus shift.
It is also difficult to get perfectly in focus anyway, I use mine with a
viewfinder magnifier.
A quick search on the internet will turn up quite a lot of discussion on
this and the 90mm f2 apo-asph lens is one of the most sensitive lens out
there for this problem - sadly.
The new 35mm f1.4 asph came out because focus shift on the existing lens was
being noticed on the M8 and M9 when it was not using film bodies.
cheers,
Frank Dernie