Subject: [Leica] Magnum documentary on Chernobyl
From: rsphotoimages at comcast.net (Bob Shaw)
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 09:57:11 -0800

Ted:

Well said.

Why is it that the Old Men in power send them off to war to wreak havoc on
the land, and it is the Old Men who somehow survive and weep at the
spectacle and proclaim, "Never Again".

I saw my share though nothing as devastating as your St. Petersburg moment.

We need to figure out the "Again" part so that we never need to say, "Never".

Yesterday heard yet another newly-elected US Congressman talk about a
"Victory" in Afghanistan as the only solution.  He was criticizing Obama's 4
more years then out, which is yet another extension.

Exactly what victory was this poor fool thinking about?

To paraphrase another old fool (Papa Bush), "Not Gonna Happen...."

It seems like those who have never been in combat are those who scream for
victory.  Maybe a night drop into a combat zone could enlighten them a bit.
But then, the politicians who visit the war zones don't have to stay on, do
they.  They come back, hold a press conference and and speak as though they
are seasoned veterans - their flak jacket safely stowed back in the zone for
the next visiting dignitary.

Cheers,

Bob

Bob Shaw