Subject: [Leica] Magnum documentary on Chernobyl
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 13:31:02 -0600

On Nov 20, 2010, at 11:57 AM, Bob Shaw wrote:

> Why is it that the Old Men in power send them off to war to wreak havoc on
> the land,

Because their insatiable greed for power and wealth.

> and it is the Old Men who somehow survive and weep at the spectacle and
> proclaim, "Never Again".

An empty promise to the mothers, fathers and lovers of the slaughtered.

> We need to figure out the "Again" part so that we never need to say,
> "Never".

The military-industrial-resource-hoarding-complex will out figure "we" who
seek peace.
<http://www.citizen.org/cmep/article_redirect.cfm?ID=9589>

> Yesterday heard yet another newly-elected US Congressman talk about a
> "Victory" in Afghanistan as the only solution.  He was criticizing Obama's
> 4 more years then out, which is yet another extension.

When and where did one side or another experience a "victory" through
violent conflict?

> Exactly what victory was this poor fool thinking about?

???????????????????????????

> To paraphrase another old fool (Papa Bush), "Not Gonna Happen...."
>
> It seems like those who have never been in combat are those who scream for
> victory.  Maybe a night drop into a combat zone could enlighten them a
> bit. But then, the politicians who visit the war zones don't have to stay
> on, do they.  They come back, hold a press conference and and speak as
> though they are seasoned veterans - their flak jacket safely stowed back
> in the zone for the next visiting dignitary.

Any individual who "screams" for a fight, invasion, war, victory, et al
should have to serve on the front lines until either "they achieve their
goals" die or learn that for all intent and purpose war does not work
anymore. Otherwise they should keep their mouths shut, their pens in their
pockets, and their fingers off the keyboards.

Though as you and Papa Bush say, "not gonna happen?"

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com