Subject: [Leica] The MACBA & El Raval NOW FILM????
From: lluisripollquerol at gmail.com (Lluis Ripoll)
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 17:10:30 +0100

Hi Ted and Nathan, mes amis

Maybe I was too enthousiast saying "film is better" instead of "I like
better B&W on film". IMO there are two things that film gives better than
digital, at least for my experience. The blacks are more deepth, more dense,
no noise in the shadows or lower light areas, the higlights are not blocked.
Maybe I don't have enough skills on digital, but I'm much more fast editing
at PS a B&W picture from film than converting it from digital color to B&W.

It was a while I've not used film, after 2 or 3 months I'm using Silver Efex
Pro, yes this is fine and I can get better results and approach much better
the film, but in general I find that film give me better results according
to my preferences.

You say that actually you think in color, and this is arriving to me too,
digital color is so nice and immediate that it becomes difficult think on
B&W or maybe do a conversion that it satisfy you better than the color
version. Probably this is too influenced by a psichological "effect", you
immediately see a color digital picture and can do also immediately the
conversion; with film this arrives after some hours or days and you have
already forgett the natural colors of the scene, than when you scann and
see, I say "oh! is beautiful!".

I hope I have give a response to your questions, maybe wrong..., but
according to my experience and skills on digital. I don't know if the sensor
of a M9 is better corrected for the things I've commented. I think that it
should be a special firmware or sensor to do directly B&W... I don't think
that B&W could be defined as simply "substract the color", the original
invention was different.

This is my opinion....., my 2 cents ...

I don't think I can write today more comments about this subject, now I'm on
the office and I go to the Opera House in one hour.

Thanks for your questions!

cheers
Lluis

2011/3/8 <tedgrant at shaw.ca>

> Lluis Ripoll  said:
>
>> M7, Elmarit 28mm Asph, Plus X..... Film is better! <<<<
>>>>

> Nathan Offered:
>
>> > Very nice, Lluis, especially the 2nd and last one. I don't know if film
>>>

> Hi both, :-)
>
> Lluis and Nathan a couple of questions?
>
> 1/ Why do you say "Film is better?"
>
> 2/ "Where do you think film is better?"
>
> Since I became "Hooked on digital," it has never occurred to me to ever go
> back to film..... "OF ANY KIND!" Or even think about it. And don't miss it
> for one milli-second!
>
> I shoot nothing but digital with various cameras and I still expose the
> neat things I did with film. Actually, I think in colour "digital colour is
> immediate, result is right there in a moment!" No need to or rarely need to
> bracket frame after frame as we did with film. Nor do I have to take it to
> the lab, wait for the developing a couple of hours? Days? Weeks? Depending
> which film I was using?
>
> And as I understand from Tina and others, today there is software? I think
> that's what it is? You can make digital images look like they were shot on
> film. But being me, my response is always "WHY? AND WHO CARES?" Certainly
> if
> the content is a smashing great content! After all isn't it the content
> that
> matters most and not whether the image looks like Tri-x, Kodachrome or
> whatever?Just a couple of early morning thoughts and questions.
> cheers,
> ted

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Nathan Wajsman" <photo at
> frozenlight.eu>