Subject: [Leica] China 1976
From: cummer at netvigator.com (H&ECummer)
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 15:43:15 +0800

Hi Luggers,
I was a trade officer with the Canadian Embassy in Beijing in the mid
1970's.
My slides from that time have been in storage in Canada for the last
17 years and over the summer I scanned some of them.

Here are 8 pictures showing a visit to Harbin and the Taching oil
fields in February 1976. The film stock is Extachrome, ISO 160 (I
think) and the camera is a Pentax K2 with a 85mm F2.0 lens and a wider
lens, now forgotten, perhaps a 35 F2.0. The set is long gone - given
away to a photo student.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/China70s/_HeavyIndustw.jpg.html

http://tinyurl.com/4o7o4m7

The Harbin generator factory. I made a report on the visit with as
much info as possible and described the building as "industrial gothic"
About 6 months later a report from the CIA crossed my desk, (we shared
industrial info in those days) describing the factory's capabilities
and describing it as "industrial gothic".

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/China70s/DecapodPanoW.jpg.html

http://tinyurl.com/4os9hkm

In those days steam engines were the main work horses on the railways.
The decapod is from an American design from the Baldwin locomotive
works first sold to Russian and then passed to the Chinese in the
1920's. When I took this picture China was still producing decapods to
the old "Russian" design (Ye designation).

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/China70s/FixingLtBulbsW.jpg.html

http://tinyurl.com/4egt3n3

Self sufficiency was the word in China in 1976 - here a worker is
refitting fresh filaments into a burned out bulb. We were amazed to
see this being done, and the Chinese were equally amazed that as an
advanced country we didn't recycle our bulbs. I doubt very much of
China still does this.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/China70s/FixingLtBulbs2W.jpg.html

http://tinyurl.com/4vr9gne

Here is another view of the bulb repair assembly line.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/China70s/LeatherCutw.jpg.html

http://tinyurl.com/4lcxe63

Trying to be self sufficient in all things they also made leather
goods - shoes and bags and belts.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/China70s/NoodleMakerW.jpg.html

http://tinyurl.com/4kmks9l

And noodles from scratch.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/China70s/Sewingw.jpg.html

http://tinyurl.com/4tl5lrh

And clothes for everyone - all in Mao blue

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/China70s/WingMakerW.jpg.html

http://tinyurl.com/4zbcdmc

And handicrafts to sell. Here the girls are making wings to add to
pictures of cranes made out of cork.

I haven't been back to Harbin and Taching since then but I would bet
big money that none of this piece work is being done now.
Everyone is making export goods for Walmart.

C& C always welcome

Your old comrade Howard.

Replies: Reply from abridge at mac.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] China 1976)
Reply from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] China 1976)