Subject: [Leica] S2 - not the best apparently
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 09:35:55 -0700

>From what I hear, the local ( Los Angeles) wedding photographer market is
about as competitive as it gets.,,,,,,
Yes, the camera of choice is now a digital.  Because it allows instant
images.  Not better, just instant.  Which one?  Canon?  Nikon?  Hasselblad?
Does it matter?  Nope.  Just instant.  Average cost of wedding pix from this
crowd seems to be less than $500.   Sometimes less than $250... You get a CD
with un-edited images on it.

Hasselblad is not on the radar scene any more for normal weddings.  20, 30,
40 Grand in equipment?  The brides really do not care.  Lomo?  Sure, if it
were instant...

But I do see a lot of photographers out there taking the pre-day
(environmental) portrait pictures.   Yes, Nikon and Canon digital, but a lot
of Hasselblad ( film!) as well...

But there is a more ... I would not use the word educated... maybe
traditionalist?  maybe snobby?....that do want "the best" and pay for it.
They, I am told, do not want a Canon or Nikon.. they expect a Hasselblad.
Wedding pix cost $5K and up... I heard about a B+W wedding that went for
$15K.  Proofs included, but (digital) enlargements were extra.  Nothing I
thought that was special, except for the price.  The Dad of a Bride I knew
did comment on the use of the "best" equipment... it was a digi-Blad....

Sounds like Ted's experience is different, and maybe a lot of the rest of
you pros out there have different experiences....  but, while I agree that a
C or N is "good enuf" (or maybe a complete overkill), there is a select,
small market for Hasselblad...and maybe Leica, if the niche is enough for
2...

And they know how to charge for and have the right client base for the
"privilege".

Frank Filippone
Red735i at earthlink.net

Replies: Reply from zoeica at mac.com (Chris Williams) ([Leica] S2 - not the best apparently)