Subject: [Leica] D700 or D7000
From: afirkin at afirkin.com (afirkin at afirkin.com)
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 01:21:05 -0400

> So (other than IR filters) what makes this better than an M8?
>
> john

If you mean the M9 v M8 there are a lot of benefits:

1. the M cameras are best in the wider range: there is nothing wrong with
'cropped' sensors, but the M glass is made for 35mm format and so 'use
it'. As Ted says he used 21, 35 and 50 nocti with the 90 only in
emergencies

2. the Sensor is bigger, but its also a bit better. Handles noise a bit
better and the image has a small improvement in overall colour and image
quality, even at similar megapixel sizes

3. the camera has little mechanical improvements, but like every evolution
of the M not much.

4. I really wanted 14mp in my rangefinder. I don't and don't want to crop
too tightly with a  rangefinder, so I was REALLY happy to get the 18mp. I
think in most situations, 10 to 12 mp is more than enough especially if
you can tightly crop, but the extra 'latitude' of the 18 really help RF
work, and the pixels are quality and can be used

5. Its a little bit quieter than my M8's, which were both first models.

The noise issue is not a deal breaker, but again the M has always been the
'available light' king esp with a Nocti. The high ISO performance of the
CMOS sensors gives them a real 'free kick', but although I have no
complaints about the images coming out of my new Nikons, the colour
tonality of the CCD Leica sensor does seem more 'luxurious'.

Alastair

Replies: Reply from john at chiaroscuro.co.nz (John McMaster) ([Leica] D700 or D7000)
Reply from richard at imagecraft.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] D700 or D7000)
Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] D700 or D7000)