Subject: [Leica] High Rez Bergdorf's window
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 12:26:54 -0500

The original st 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-D had a good rep among photographers
it was replaced in 2003 by the  24-120mm f/3.5-5.6 VR  which had a bad
reputation. It was soft had a huge amount of fall off and the first
generation VR did not work all that great.
But the current Nikon 24-120mm f/4 VR GAF-S is second generation VR and its
optical issues of the previous issue have all been addressed. Its a well
thought of lens selling like hotcakes to all the smart people and some less
smart.
I don't think of as a do all lens I don't think the zoom range is all that
wide and its not that much of a monster lens.
its simplify extended from 24-85 to fit our current sensibilities and does
what current optics can do.
Its not the monster 28-300. Which may be an ok lens for what it is.

VR is a huge thing for your shooting when it works right and from all anyone
can tell it works perfectly on this current  24-120mm f/4 VR GAF-S lens
enabling amazing low light shooting. That on top of excrement current nikon
optics to begin with.
Nikon is an excellent optical company wand when it messes up it does not
mess up for long.
With this current version of a key lens its got it right.
--
Mark R.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lugalrabs/onthisAutumnday/

> From: Steve Barbour <steve.barbour at gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 07:51:07 -0800
> To: Leica Users Group <lug at leica-users.org>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] High Rez Bergdorf's window
>
> thanks much Jay

Sent from my iPhone
Steve Barbour

On Dec 13, 2011, at 8:33
> PM, Jayanand Govindaraj <jayanand at gmail.com> wrote:

Steve,
Yes. The AF-S
> Nikkor 24-120 f4G ED VR, to give it its catalogue monicker,
is a soft lens
> with quite a bit of distortion at both ends. I bought it on
specs without
> trying it out, which I normally never do, which was an
unforced error if ever
> there was one. It is a lens that gives convenience
at the cost of optical
> quality, a bad trade off. IMHO, the older one (AF-S
24-85 f3.5-4.5G) is
> lighter, more compact, less expensive and better
performing, albeit in a
> narrower zoom range. Both have AFS, and 'G' type
lenses, but the older lens
> does not have VR, which I have not found to be a
material disadvantage in this
> zoom range. It is going to stay on my D700 as
my walk around, standard zoom
> lens.
Cheers
Jayanand

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 9:32 AM, Steve Barbour