Subject: [Leica] How to check a M9
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Phil Forrest)
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 23:41:15 -0500

You can download a free program called M9info which can glean the true
shutter actuation count from the camera metadata embedded in each
photograph. Have the seller send you a raw DNG file then by checking in
M9info you could tell what the shot count is. Make sure he sends you a
recent image too...
As for stolen, you'd need the full serial number. You can check for it
on google then you could also contact Leica to see if it is in their
database of cameras. Other than that, good luck.
I wouldn't buy a Leica M9 from private sale though since you may not
be extended the full warranty service, if any. You also must make
certain that the camera is actually within warranty since the initial 2
year warranty of the first bodies expired as of September 9, 2011. It
goes by purchase date so you have some research to do.
You'd be better off getting one from a reputable dealer and paying a
bit more for the warranty you will definitely receive as well as some
customer service.

Phil Forrest