Subject: [Leica] War Photographers
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Phil Forrest)
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 22:39:08 -0500

What Dr. Ted said.

Personally, when I cross-rated from meteorologist to photographer in
the Navy, I thought I was going to be doing more work on the intel side
since I was already on my way to becoming a qualified flier and going
to NAC school. Well, needs of the Navy in the current climate turned
that situation on its head and I wound up being stationed with Navy
Seabee combat engineers. It wasn't bad my first deployment with them. I
went to Guam because I didn't have time to get trained in weapons and
tactics as well as get the necessary medical workup done. The Guam
deployment was fine. The rest of the battalion was fighting with the
Marines in An Najaf and up to Baghdad. They rebuilt all the bridges
that had been destroyed on the march up towards the capital city.

10 months later was a different story entirely. I wasn't one of those
folks who eagerly wanted to go into combat but I also wasn't wise
enough to think that combat would be detrimental to the health of my
friends and even myself. When I had to do those investigative photos
after the rocket attack on Sept. 4th, 2004, that's when I knew it was
real. Real friends that were really dying. I didn't want to take any
more photos of that for the rest of my life but there were still five
months left in that deployment during which we got to experience actual
hell with all 5 of our senses.

I got out a completely changed person. I'm a different person than
before Iraq and I actually have forgotten who I was back then. But I'm
better off now.

I tell all my classmates who want to be combat photographers that they
should write down that idea in big bold letters on a sheet of paper,
wad it up and toss it into a wastebin because it's an awful decision.
The eager ones are the first to die though, unfortunately. It's like
that in the military in any job. That enthusiasm clouds the mind and
causes complacency. we all know that "COMPLACENCY KILLS" (that's what
we read all over base in Fallujah and it's incredibly true.) These
classmates of mine are the same age as the folks I lost out in Iraq.
It's the same shameful loss of life but in the case of the eager combat
photographers, I think they either have a lust for danger and a
deathwish OR they have spent too much time in video games and movies
where one can simply reset the game or stop the movie if it gets too
bad. The only thing which will teach them that their decision is bad is
the decision itself. So I can only wish them the best of luck.

Phil Forrest

Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca) ([Leica] War Photographers)