Subject: [Leica] Help with Nocti
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 10:39:40 +1030

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 10:49 PM, Mark Rabiner <mark at rabinergroup.com>
wrote:
> An off axis street light does not introduce coma to the lens like it would
> on a Summicron > or lux is what I think I recall reading about it for one.

The Noctilux has tons of coma, what it lacks is internal reflections
or ghosting - what, combined, most photographers call "flare".  The
Summicron and Summilux have less aberrations (including coma) but more
flare.  http://leica-users.org/v31/msg14554.html

None of this matters if you don't care, or don't see the abberrations
or don't know what the results of the aberrations look like.  I see
them because I look for them and have gone out of my way to learn what
various aberrations look like in a print.  Some of them produce
effects I like, some I live with, some I only notice if I go looking
for them.

Marty

Replies: Reply from henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] Help with Nocti)
Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Help with Nocti)