Subject: [Leica] Mark, your new NEC screen
From: tgray at 125px.com (Tim Gray)
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 21:08:04 -0500

On Feb 01, 2012 at 06:59 PM -0500, Mark Rabiner wrote:
>Its an LCD with a LED backlight. So its perhaps some kind of hybrid?
>I never did get it straight which was better LCD or LED anyway. Maybe both
>is better.

LED screens are LCDs.  Plain and simple.  Non-LED LCDs used CCFLs (cold
cathode fluorescent lamp) lights for the backlight for the most part.
LED screens use LEDs to backlight the LCD.

As far as LED or CCFL backlight being better, it depends on the quality
of the lighting.  LED has the potential to be better in the long run
with better color gamut, as well as being able to be switched on locally
on certain parts of the display (boosts contrast range), as opposed to
just providing a uniform backlight.  They also can lead to lower power
usage and thinner displays.  However, with the current tech, a lot of
the mid range monitors that demand color accuracy still use CCFL
backlighting, like NEC's PA series.  But it mostly depends on the
quality of the LED or CCFL used.

I'm sure this is more than you wanted to know :)  I'm also sure you'll
enjoy your monitor - I love my NEC.

Tim

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Mark, your new NEC screen)
Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Mark, your new NEC screen)