Subject: [Leica] OT (very) The Great Prostate Debate: Does ScreeningSaveLives?: Scientific American And a bit more to think about
From: leica_r8 at hotmail.com (Aram Langhans)
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 10:29:30 -0800

I have enjoyed reading this thread.  The issue is important and also points
out how our society reacts to science and medicine.  When I retired from
teaching full time at the HS level, I started teaching a summer biology
class for non-majors at the local community college.  It has been a lot of
fun, and way different than my advanced high school classes.  A bit more
than a year ago, my closest friend for about 30 years was diagnosed with
brain cancer, and it was not good.  He was given a 20% chance of living 6
months and he made 7.  But the last few he was essentially not there.  This
was after aggressive rounds of chemo and radiation.  His wife, naturally so,
was distraught with the diagnosis and the treatments.  She cared for him at
home until he died, and she was also caring for her mother with dementia,
who died 6 months later.  Lots of stress.

At times she would make comments akin to; we can land a man on the moon
but....  We have all heard those kinds of statements.  It got me thinking,
and I posed the following question to my science class last summer.  "What
do you expect from science?"  It was an interesting discussion.  I was
surprised.   I had previously tried this question on other friends and
relations, and I got quite a lot of them expecting science to have a cure or
solution for whatever ailed them, be it medical or technological.  There's a
pill for that.  There's an ap for that...  So, I was expecting my class to
put a lot of expectations into what they thought science could do, but in my
class I did not get much of that.  Even though they were not science majors,
most had a better idea of what science was all about than the general public
in my previous sample.  But, then again, this was the best class I have had
in the three years I have been teaching it.  I plan on using this again this
summer, if I get a chance to teach the class again.   It points out that not
many people really know what science can and cannot do, and how the process
of science works.  How complex some things are, yet we tend to learn very
oversimplified views in early science classes and the media certainly does
not correct that view.  Gene for X discovered, cure around the corner.

The human genome project was supposed to answer all our questions.  Well, as
any scientist knows, the more you learn, the more you don't know.  For every
question you answer, it poses three or four more.  Now we are seeing the
possible roles for all that so-called "junk DNA", and we are seeing the
complex nature of RNA, gene regulation, epigenetics,  and the list goes on.

Sorry for my ranting.  I just thought it related to the issue of prostrate
cancer.

Aram

Replies: Reply from ricc at embarqmail.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] OT (very) The Great Prostate Debate: Does ScreeningSaveLives?: Scientific American And a bit more to think about)
Reply from sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] OT (very) The Great Prostate Debate: Does ScreeningSaveLives?: Scientific American And a bit more to think about)