Subject: [Leica] Nikon D800E vs. D800
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 15:05:53 +1000

No CAPTURE sharpening at all as a default? With the M9 I always use it with
different setting for detail type shots (eg. landscapes) vs. portraits and
in conjunction with whatever NR I use (since they are interdependant). That
step is just to restore inevitable  losses from the original analog light
in digital capture in the first place. For me I might find those capture
sharpening numbers change a lot with my compact camera and my Nikon dSLR
compared tto the M9 but the basic prinicple still applies too.
Output sharpening is a different thing though and that hinges heavily on
output purpose (and resolution). I've stopped any output sharpening for web
anything (downsampling makes the whole exercise questionable though) but I
wouldn't print larger without it.

Cheers,
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman