Subject: [Leica] Benro Copyright...
From: richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man)
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 11:08:27 -0700

I scrolled past the message where Nathan said something like Benro copies
the plans for the Gitzo. I wasn't aware of that but not surprised. Similar
things happen with electronic boards and appliances etc. Ethically, it's
something that I cannot condone. OTOH, the question to ask is why are Gitzo
and Manfrotto so expensive in the first place? I guess the proof in the
pudding is in whether Benro will start to innovate and come out with their
own design. As small as our market is in my dayjob business, it seems that
whenever we come out with a new feature, one of our competitor would come
out with a similar feature in a few months later. C'est la vie.

I own a small Benro and a large one (any larger would be too tall for me to
use). The large one I bought to use with the heaver cameras but I found
that most of the time when hiking, it's just as easy to carry it than with
the smaller one, unless I am doing a really strenous hike like up to Half
Dome.

Carbon Fiber is definitely the way to go though, if weight is a
consideration.

--

Replies: Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Benro Copyright...)