Subject: [Leica] Nikon D800E Photographs
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 10:04:19 +0530

Thanks to everyone for looking and commenting. I will post a few more
examples later today.

Some answers to queries asked:

1. I have not printed anything as yet, but I see no problem as I get
perfectly acceptable A2 prints from my D700 files.

2. I still have my D700. The D800E replaces my D7000 mainly for its
versatility on safari - either I can shoot with it on DX mode for extra
reach and still get 16MB files, or shoot as a 36MP full frame with a lot of
cropping potential. The D700 stays for capturing fast moving action and use
in low light, as well as a backup on safari.

3. I am breathing a sigh of relief that the 16-35 worked well, as it saved
me a ton of money! The lenses which, IMHO, do not work well at this sensor
resolution include the 24mm f2.8, 35mm f2, 24-120 f4, 50mm f1.4 - of course
all the primes mentioned are a bit old in the tooth, and I think I will
sell the lot and buy the newer iterations! I never liked the 24-120 f4,
which I stupidly bought on an impulse, and had kept it back just in case it
worked well with the D800E, but I still do not like the results. The 85
f1.8 and 180mm f2.8 work pretty well, as does my old, plastic, lightweight
favourite the 24-85mm f3.5-4.5. I have yet to test out my safari bazookas
on it, but I foresee no problem there as they are all pretty much top of
the line stuff. What I am more interested is how TCs would work on the long
lenses.

4. The files have unusually fine detail at the RAW level at 1:1, and a
default dose of capture sharpening in Lightroom is all what seems to be
required for web usage, though I anticipate some output sharpening would be
required for printing. I shot a lot of funny fabrics on people and did not
get moire even once, so maybe that is a pretty rare occurrence. Yes I did
do the "Histogram Thing" and adjusted for a black and white point - maybe
an uncalibrated monitor is the problem?

Cheers
Jayanand