Subject: [Leica] Nikon D800E Photographs
From: jbmmllug at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 20:07:40 -0400

On Monday, May 21, 2012, Jayanand Govindaraj wrote:

> 3. I am breathing a sigh of relief that the 16-35 worked well, as it saved
> me a ton of money! The lenses which, IMHO, do not work well at this sensor
> resolution include the 24mm f2.8, 35mm f2, 24-120 f4, 50mm f1.4 - of course
> all the primes mentioned are a bit old in the tooth, and I think I will
> sell the lot and buy the newer iterations! I never liked the 24-120 f4,
> which I stupidly bought on an impulse, and had kept it back just in case it
> worked well with the D800E, but I still do not like the results. The 85
> f1.8 and 180mm f2.8 work pretty well, as does my old, plastic, lightweight
> favourite the 24-85mm f3.5-4.5. I have yet to test out my safari bazookas
> on it, but I foresee no problem there as they are all pretty much top of
> the line stuff. What I am more interested is how TCs would work on the long
> lenses.

In case you haven't seen this yet...? the D800's high resolution
prompted Roger Cicala of lensrentals.com to test multiple samples of
the Nikon-mount lenses they stock, with the aim of figuring out which
available lenses actually provide useful detail to all those pixels:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/03/d800-lens-selection

(This blog is in general excellent and interesting.)

 -Jeff

Replies: Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] Nikon D800E Photographs)
Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Nikon D800E Photographs)
Message from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] Nikon D800E Photographs)