Subject: [Leica] Endgadget on the MM
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 01:53:40 -0400

When the Leica M9 comes out with the new sensor what you can do with the
camera will be strikingly higher than what you can do with the current
version. There will be a stark contrast in the functionality between the two
cameras.  People using them will be in ecstasy over what they can now do
with their Leica M system.
With an M6 I could shoot Neopan 1600 @ 1600 and get better than Tri x in D76
1:1 results. I got real used to that. I hear that is a bit much to ask for
the current M9. But the next one with the new sensor will do much better,
not worse than that.
And street shooting and indoor shooing in extreme conditions as in very low
light has always been a main focus of rangefinder camera especially Leica M
use. With the new M9 it will be a culmination of what Leica M shooting is
all about. And people who spent huge money fairly recently on the current M9
will not be happy campers. They'll be selling off their cameras and not be
getting very much money for them.
The Leica Monochrom is kind of a buffer between current Leica digital m
shooting had that of the near future. Those higher ISO's when everyone else
is used to with their DSLR full frames is being slowly introduced to Leica M
digital shooting.

When the film M's moved up in sequence and time from number to number it
still shot the same film. A picture you take with Tri x with an M6 is not
going to look any better than with an M3 as you can put Tri x in that camera
too.
But digital cameras come in effect with the film built into it.
So its like saying "your M7 comes with a lifetime supply of Neopan 1600
while your M4 comes with a lifetime supply of Plus x).
Its like saying the film comes with the camera.
- with digital in effect it does come with the film built into it.
We're not going to be able to send our M9's into Leica and have them upgrade
the sensor. A lot of people who spent all that money are going be out in the
cold with a camera with the fraction of the functionality of the new M9.
The Monochrom is kind of a buffer between the present the the near future.
A little bit.

- - from my iRabs.
Mark Rabiner
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lugalrabs/springdays/