Subject: [Leica] Just for the record
From: kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney)
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 19:31:13 -0500

On 6/10/2012 4:56 PM, Herbert Kanner wrote:
> I turned ninety yesterday, 9 June. Unfortunately I never followed
> Uncle Ted's advice about regular exercise. I suppose I must have been
> influenced by Robert Maynard Hutchins, the president of the University
> of Chicago when I was an undergraduate. His famous quote was: Whenever
> I feel the urge to exercise, I lay down until it goes away." So my
> musculature has gone to hell in the last year or so.
>
> For many years, the nearest I came to exercise was piloting light
> aircraft. I suppose climbing into the cockpit could be called exercise.
>
> Then I discovered horses and for thirty years rode every week at a
> minimum. The last few years of riding, I decided to take dressage
> lessons, not to compete, just to learn more about communicating with
> the horse. I was lucky; I found an instructor who, while I was
> studying with her, qualified as an Olympics judge.
>
> The mistake I made was to stop. I had been leasing the use of this
> horse from when she was six years old, and in time she became too old
> and lame prone to be used by me. So, I set intended to rent another
> animal just as the rainy season started and the horse ranch became a
> mud hole. My wife persuaded me that it would be sensible to wait until
> spring, and I just never got around to resuming riding.
>
> Moral: there are times when you shouldn't listen to your wife :-)
>
> Herb
Herb,

Congratulations.  There is some luck in achieving age 90.  I just turned
71 and I have many much older clients who ate and drank what their
parents did and are doing fine.  Pork chops pulled from the fat in a
cellar storage etc.  I will go with luck and genes.  Almost all of my HS
friends are deceased, from VN or car wrecks.  One of my best friends
dropped dead at age 45 from a heart attack on the tennis court.   I
didn't get my MD along the way, but I would say...don't change
anything.  Except maybe for some Lagavulin.  I am glad you are well.  I
have many clients at that age who have not fared as well.

Ken