Subject: [Leica] Just for the record
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 14:56:13 -0700

I turned ninety yesterday, 9 June. Unfortunately I never followed
Uncle Ted's advice about regular exercise. I suppose I must have been
influenced by Robert Maynard Hutchins, the president of the
University of Chicago when I was an undergraduate. His famous quote
was: Whenever I feel the urge to exercise, I lay down until it goes
away." So my musculature has gone to hell in the last year or so.

For many years, the nearest I came to exercise was piloting light
aircraft. I suppose climbing into the cockpit could be called
exercise.

Then I discovered horses and for thirty years rode every week at a
minimum. The last few years of riding, I decided to take dressage
lessons, not to compete, just to learn more about communicating with
the horse. I was lucky; I found an instructor who, while I was
studying with her, qualified as an Olympics judge.

The mistake I made was to stop. I had been leasing the use of this
horse from when she was six years old, and in time she became too old
and lame prone to be used by me. So, I set intended to rent another
animal just as the rainy season started and the horse ranch became a
mud hole. My wife persuaded me that it would be sensible to wait
until spring, and I just never got around to resuming riding.

Moral: there are times when you shouldn't listen to your wife :-)

Herb
--
Herbert Kanner
kanner at acm.org