Subject: [Leica] Sciatica
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 15:40:38 -0500

On Jun 10, 2012, at 3:52 PM, Mark Rabiner wrote:

> Sciatica
> I've just had the most painful three  of weeks of my life.

So sorry for your pain.

> And woke up not wracked in pain in my legs for the first time in 3 weeks
> and
> I got 8 hours of sleep not 5 or 4.

good to hear ;~)

> The lesson is - when you hit middle age or older:
> Don't loose your inner core strength.

And don't forget your aerobic / heart rate up to 96 - 132 bpm for at least
30 - 60 minutes per day

> Do exercises in the morning like Ted has his whole life.
> I'm getting a folding mat. And taking up Yoga and anything else which
> resembles it.

Have a look at whether you qualify for the Silver Sneakers program.
<http://www.silversneakers.com/>
Free membership to the YMCA;
(and many other "gyms")
which, at my nearest Y, includes daily "age specific" workouts;
including "Yoga Stretch" two days a week;
as well as access to all workout machines, pool, etc.

Since my heart attack, 3 months ago,
the Y and SS has made a great difference in my maintaining a routine.
I've lost 15 pounds (25 or 30 to go).
For me the big difference is in being able to shake it up.
I can only use my rowing machine and recumbent stationery bike so much
before they begin to feel like instruments of torture.
And my two mile walks from the house - likewise - become very redundant.
So 5 mile bicycle ride to the YMCA; and meeting and greeting others;
while also using other and different machines;
is exactly what I need - and is totally free.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com