Subject: [Leica] IMG: The Art Above Us
From: chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Chris Crawford)
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 19:07:34 -0400

My father is retired from Verizon, which was the local phone company here,
not just cellphones. He has a collection of those insulators (the ceramic
thing the wire is tied to), some ceramic and some glass. He was a lineman
for the first half of his 30 years with the company.

Phone lines don't really need insulators, as phone cable has rubber
insulation on the cable. The insulator simply serves to hold the cable in
a way that doesn't abrade it. Electrical cable was often bare metal cable,
no rubber coating to protect people from the voltage carried on the line!
The insulator actually insulated the cable from the pole, in addition to
simply holding the cable in place.

The insulators themselves are little sculptures in clay or glass; some
modern ones are plastic and not as interesting. Some of the antique ones
in my dad's collection are very beautiful.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography

Become a fan on Facebook