Subject: [Leica] Why Leica is opening up so many stores
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 00:49:44 -0400

I've been to their place in Solms and seen the remnants at Wetzlar.
Also there is a thing Called Leica New York, used to be or still is Roger
Horn. Which is of course in New Jersey. Which is where the main US office
is.

Leica Camera Agency
Our local Leica Camera operation can answer your questions about our
products, in the local language, naturally.

Leica Camera Inc.
1 Pearl Ct, Unit A
Allendale, New Jersey 07401
:
Phone 800-222-0118
Fax: 201-995-1686

- - from my iRabs.
Mark Rabiner
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lugalrabs/springdays/

> [...]
>>> To: Leica Users Group <lug at leica-users.org>
>>> Subject: Re: [Leica] Why Leica is opening up so many stores
>>>
>>> Leica thinks it can be like Apple and have stand alone stores.
>>> Maybe it can, but they Leica isn't Apple. Apple had a big
>>> followingbefore it
>>> started to run its own stores.
>>> While Leica may have lost dealers, it's hard to imagine a dealer buying
>>> into
>>> the Leica system. What does that cost, half a million?Is there that much
>>> profit in new cameras? No. The win is in sellingused Leica gear.Dealers
>>> traditionally carry a broader range of product than just one line.In New
>>> York,
>>> a dealer may be able to make it with one line of cameras,namely Leica.
>>> But
>>> can
>>> a dealer in Cincinnati make it that way?
>>> Given the giant leap in Leica prices, how many of us are going to buy new
>>> Leica gear? That means Leica is going to have to develop a newmarket--one
>>> beyond the collectors who have one of everything Leica foreach of their
>>> homes.
>>> People like us, I assume, will be lured away by camera manufacturerswho
>>> produce a great product in range finder form. Think Fuji. Think the xpro
>>> 2.
>>> As I've written here before, as Leica increaes its prices, it opens
>>> itself
>>> up
>>> to be undersold: Fuji, Olympus, Sony come to mind.
>>> Then again, maybe Leica isn't thinking long-term. Maybe it's just
>>> thinking
>>> American, which is to say short-term. Drive up the prices, increase
>>> profit
>>> margins, look good on paper, make an IOP killings and cash in.
>>> Leica might reply: howwash. We sell everything we make in a bad economy.
>>> Think
>>> what it will be like, wenn alles wieder in Butter ist, when everything is
>>> good
>>> again. They may have a point.
>>> I'd feel better about their future if lurking in the wings was an
>>> autofocus
>>> with movie capability. Who know, maybe there is. Who knows, maybe they
>>> will
>>> introduce a mini M to sell to consumers the way Canon and Nikon does.
>>> They
>>> may
>>> have "miracle" products in the pipeline, but given their history of
>>> trailing
>>> the market, this may be more than a fantasy.
>>> For me, Leica is bcoming less interesting while Fuji is becoming more
>>> interesting. The new Nikon catches my eye as does the Canon 5D Mark III
>>> with
>>> its high ISOs and silent mode. As it is, the M9 sounds noisy to me like
>>> the
>>> SLRs of yore.
>>> It just seems to me Leica is no longer looking to photographers to buy
>>> product. It is becoming a fashion statement. Pity is how many