Subject: [Leica] sensor cleanliness
From: cedric.agie at gmail.com (Cedric Agie)
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 21:46:52 +0100

There must be a problem of stattic electricity, certainly with a new
camera containig electronics. When I change lenses of an M, R or
Hasselblad camera, and certainly with the M-9 I allways :

1? choose a quiet place and protect my camera as much as possible and
never when it's windy, if possible go inside somewhere, a car or a
building, be it a toilet,
2? allways turn the camera with the lens down,
3? have the new (clean) lens ready without its lenscap, clean my lenscaps,
4? have a blower at hand and if possible and/or have a table or
somebody nearby for help and do the changes quickly after 2 or 3
strong blows inside with the blower without a brush!

We all inspect the surfaces of our lenses closely and are used to see
lots of dust and dirt on it in no time. The same phenomenon happens
with our films, but the fine dust and particles are usually washed
away during the developping process. Not so of course with digital
cameras with interchangeable lenses. The dust and durt simply stays
where it is and the problem grows steadily untill you do something.
In my case this has worked without much fuzz for more than a year.
When I first discovered the problem, I went to the local Leica agent
who admitted the problem, cleaned the CCD in no time (about half an
hour) installed the latest software with no charge for this first
intervention.

Kodak at some time developped sophysticated (often efficient but
expensive) systhems for labs that had such problems. Sometimes they
even advised to install metallic surfaces (usually stainless steel
plates) that were grounded to the earth of the building.

Good luck,

Cedric