Subject: [Leica] Technical detail--why?
From: abridge at mac.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 20:26:39 -0700

Sonny, did you even think about what I wrote? Because I don't see how your
response in any way addresses what I was talking about.

I spoke, DIRECTLY, to how I (that's ME, MYSELF) relate to metadata and how I
use it and how IT serves ME.

I get that events are, for the most part ephemeral. But it's not like I'm a
thoughtless boob just pushing the shutter release button on the camera. Most
of the time I have time to think and the presence of mind to do so. So I do
have a vision of what I want to accomplish. The camera records how I chose
to capture it. (Or didn't choose because I was in a hurry, distracted,
tired, whatever).

Is it so incredibly inconceivable that I should be able to go back and look
at how the image was made and actually learn of it? REALLY??? Because I try
to do that all the time. Each exposure is an opportunity to learn and the
more information I have to go on the more I have a shot at learning.

It's all a creative process. The next moonrise I'll have an idea of what
happened: gee, the NEX-7 behaves differently from the M8 in similar
circumstances.

Personally I think that's what being a profession is: using all the
information you have at hand to get the best result you can. I may not have
the eye of Ted Grant, or the skill of approach and composition as Doug Herr,
but that doesn't mean I can't work toward those goals in an intelligent and
thoughtful manner.

I work alone. I don't have a support group to sit down with and talk with. I
think I'd find the exposure unbearable. But I do care about my work, my
vision, and my craft.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I don't think so - at least not for me.

Adam

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] Technical detail--why?)
Reply from sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] Technical detail--why?)
Message from abridge at mac.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] Technical detail--why?)