Subject: [Leica] IMG: Family Reunion
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 00:22:23 -0700

Tina:  Pardon the pun, but this photo is loaded.   I hope the gun
isn't.  And even if it isn't, anyone who knows anything about firearms
safety would know that you *never* hand someone a gun by pointing it at
them!

What I find most chilling about the photo is the casualness of it. The
MM's tonality makes it too beautiful, which also creeps me out. Also,
you have light hair in the background and the dark arms and darker
pistol, which to me creates a little "subliminable" editorializing.
:-)  As does the woman's single eye at the left (which also
compositionally balances the single spectacle lens at right).  And then
you've got the jar of homemade jam on the table just under the gun. And
also, the gun looks like something that a female spy might use, or the
femme fatale in a detective story.

Now, OTOH, I've lived in Kentucky and Eastern Washington, and spent time
in rural Idaho and Montana. I've known people who would find this a very
ordinary scene.  Or maybe even touching--the man got a purse-totable
pistol suitable for the little woman, good for "protection." Or maybe
one of them is a dedicated collector who likes fine mechanical pistols
the way we like fine mechanical Leicas.

I remember the all-over-the-map reactions to Kyles "Armed America" book.
I suspect you'll get a microcosm of that with this photo.

All in all, a picture full of very rich juxtaposition of hot-button
archetypes, and they're going to mean very different things to different
people.  I'd be very curious if you'll show this to your relatives, how
they react if you do.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] IMG: Family Reunion)