Subject: [Leica] M (typ 240) testing
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 12:09:36 +1000

My camera and Summilux M 50 ASPH. are just back from Germany after repair
from impact and I've shot a little to check the accuracy of the calibration
firstly. The physical aspects of the servicings are faultless. That was an
expensive fall in Barcelona, by the way. Thank heavens for insurance.

I was told that the camera was serviced and calibrated first, then the lens
which was checked against the camera adjustments. I'm very pleased to say
that the focus adjustment is very very good, both of the RF compared to
magnified liveview and the lens at critical DoF settings. I tested at one
and two metres from f/1.4 down and I estimate from my tests that the
sharpest plane is perhaps within a couple of millimetres. Much closer than
probable variation when I'm handholding.

I noticed some interesting additional aspects during testing.
 Overall. focus peaking shows the focus plane shift very clearly as you
focus on a patterned target.
Operating with a loupe looking at the 10x liveview on the LCD (a very
artificial test) I can see that the range of 'in focus' is coarser than
with the RF. That is to say, with a clear target pattern, the RF is just
plain more accurate by far.

I've been told more than once that the RF in the new camera is adjusted to
finder tolerances than ever before and with new equipment and also that the
technicians are finding that the new camera is sensitive to lens
calibration.

One other item I noticed is that Lightroom 5 reported exactly the aperture
used from f/2 to f/8 with my 75. Typically those aperture estimates might
be within 1/2 to 1 stop. A happy coincidence perhaps

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] M (typ 240) testing)