Subject: [Leica] OT - Fuji
From: jplaurel at gmail.com (Jim Laurel (gmail))
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 17:37:11 -0800

They are out there, Mark. But for underwater photography, m4/3 is getting
very popular indeed for several reasons. First, you are correct in that
there weight makes little difference underwater. But most divers are also
avid travelers. We go all over the world to dive the photograph in the best
spots and for a couple that means hauling around as much as 250lbs of gear.

A person with a standard Canon 5Dmk3 UW kit is going to be hauling around a
Pelican case that weighs over 50lbs, and that doesn't include the camera
equipment itself. We're just talking the housing itself, ports for your
macro, fisheye, your superwide wide zoom, two common Sea & Sea YS-D1
strobes, cables, brackets, arms, floats, batteries, chargers, tools, spares,
wet diopters, etc. Then, you are hauling the camera gear itself as carry-on.
You will need a pair of 5dmk3 bodies (because you will inevitably destroy
one in a flood one day), the 100mm f/2.8L IS USM macro, the 8-15 f/4L, and
the 16-35 f/2.8L. Then for topside shooting, you will have your 24-70 for
general shooting as well as at least one fast prime in the 35-50mm range. My
wife shoots a 5Dmk3 in a Nauticam housing and I'm well familiar with the
weights because her huge Domke J-1 with all that full frame stuff ends up on
my Porter case. My Pelican case with the OMD EM-5 kit is about half the
weight, while the cameras and lenses weigh maybe as little as 1/4 as much as
hers and all fit into a small Domke J-803 satchel. This carry-on weight
really matters, especially since you're usually hand carrying your regulator
as well.

Underwater, the OMDs have several advantages. Blazing fast autofocus. TTL
flash (not available for the 5dmk3). The IBIS stabilization effectively
gives you a stabilized full frame fisheye. Underwater video looks like it
was shot on a steadicam. One touch white balance. The EM-1 now has 1/320th
sec flash synch, which is a big deal because it allows us to shoot sunballs
with things like giant sea fans in the foreground with less strobe power.
And the more compact size is just easier to swim with, especially if you're
finning off into the blue after things like sharks and mantas.

Is the quality as good as the 5Dmk3? No, but it's not as far off as you may
think. I would challenge anyone to tell the difference under all but the
most extreme circumstances, like very large enlargements, or maybe critical
pixel peeping. We were doing 17x22s at the last digital shootout and it was
hard to tell the difference looking at prints on the wall. When you take
everything on board - the logistics of moving equipment, ease of use, weight
of carrying equipment topside, especially on rough shore entries, m4/3
starts to look better and better. BTW, have you ever tried to do manual
white balance on a Canon camera underwater? It is an unbelievable pain in
the rear.

Finally, Panasonic and Olympus just happened to produce the exact lenses we
need underwater. The Panasonic 8mm is about as good as it gets. The Olympus
60mm macro is also an incredible performer. Along with the Panasonic 7-14,
you have everything you need to shoot everything from underwater seascapes,
to macro critters to large pelagics.

The line between the APS-C and m4/3 is blurring for real, not magical
reasons. The IQ difference is very small to the point of insignificance. The
M4/3 consortium members are exploiting the small sensor by making small
dedicated lenses of, in many cases, exceptional quality. And companies like
Voigtlander are solving some of the problems with shallower depth of field
with their high speed f/.95 lenses. The difference in weight between an
APS-C system and an M4/3 with top class lenses is dramatic. And I think it's
hard to argue about the handling. The EM-1 is a very fast-handling and
enjoyable little machine.

--Jim