Subject: [Leica] OT: Fuji X file sizes
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2014 12:29:16 -0400

When I got my D40x Nikon in 7/22/2007 22 July, 2007 my Adobe Bridge would
not open them but there was a converter free on the internet. A few months
later I upgraded my Bridge and Photoshop and it worked without them. now
when I look they  don't  make the converter any more.
But maybe you're right and I have it switched around...

On 7/3/14 2:04 AM, "Geoff Hopkinson" <hopsternew at gmail.com> wrote:

> Mark you don't have that right. Nothing 'half assed' about it.
> A DNG file is a true raw format file. The structure of the file is like a
> TIFF but with instructions. That is to say the RGB information is the same
> but the developing instructions are not actually applied, just recorded. So
> you can go back and change those instructions with no loss of info (the
> same as with other raw formats).
>
> You can choose to convert NEF  (or other raw formats) to DNG if you want
> but you can't go the other way. At least I never heard of that.
>

> Cheers
> Geoff
> http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman
>

> On 3 July 2014 15:18, Mark Rabiner <mark at rabinergroup.com> wrote:
>
>> Though a "DNG is both a raw image format and a format that supports
>> "non-raw", or partly processed, images"
>> Nothing Raw about a Tiff.
>> A DNG can be converted to say a NEF which is the digital Nikon raw format.
>> A thing I needed to do when I first got my D40X.
>> They converted to full RAW. Not some half assed thing.
>>

>> On 7/2/14 5:16 PM, "Geoff Hopkinson" <hopsternew at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Howard a DNG is essentially a TIFF with some more instructions.
>>>

>>> Cheers
>>> Geoff