Subject: [Leica] Critiques
From: steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour)
Date: Mon, 4 May 2015 12:54:42 -0700

> On May 4, 2015, at 11:17 AM, Ted Grant <tedgrant at shaw.ca> wrote:
>
> Steve Barbour  OFFERED:
> subject: Re: [Leica] Critiques

> I know what I like, I'd rather go with my own gut, than count "likes" here
> or on Facebook. My own reactions are what really turns me on.<<<<<<<<
>
> Hi Steve,
> Rightly so as far as we the photog of the scene, whatever it maybe! I bet
> there isn't one of the so called big names in history who didn't at
> sometime or other who said:.. "To heck with whatever they say!!" HCB and
> his kind.  "I love my picture as it is and as I see it in my mind and feel
> it in my gut!"
>
> And anyone making a critique isn't going to change his or any other
> photog's mind.
>
> We as our own "photo editor" have our feelings and not even a huge bolt of
> negative lightening is going to make us change our minds!" And rightly so!
> By the same token we can be very wrong simply because often we re-call the
> emotions of the "CLICK" moment that creates...... "I'm right and I'm not
> changing it for anyone!" Even very experienced shooters can relate in that
> fashion.
>
> Like you, I go by my gut feelings nearly all the time.
>
> UNTIL MY TOUGHEST PHOTO EDITOR MADE ONE COMMMENT? :-)  (When she was still
> by my side.)
> My dearest Irene would ask? " So these are the best you've ever taken in
> your life?" Then stand there as cold faced as an iceberg awaiting my
> retort? Rarely had one, just filed them never to be seen again! :-)
>
> Then there would be a nice pleasant smile, a gentle loving pat on the head
> and she'd quietly leave the editing room!  "Dang she's right again!"  :-)
> Yep 99.9999999999999% of the time she was right! And I never got into any
> kind of argument with her!  WHY? Well she had an incredible sense of what
> was good, bad, ugly and "O'hum!"

thanks Ted, if I had Irene by my side I would certainly use her good sense.
Also if my livelihood depended on my photography, that would also be a huge
incentive to do the same.

Right now I have the right side of my brain available, that hasn't been
fully used in years, and I am damn well going to use it.

steve