Subject: [Leica] IMGs: Polling Day 1 & 2
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 18:19:58 +0100

Fascinating, Steve. What did the pictures tell about me? What way did you
think I voted? I'll tell you if you're right when you reply.

Why did I take them? Opportunity.

My wife is ill as you may know, and while waiting for her to cast her
votes - there were two referendums - I was waiting outside, saw a range of
expressions and heard snatches of conversation from the exiting voters, so
decided to grab my camera. I took a couple of shots before a passing friend
of mine interrupted, deciding to talk to me about his new play "A Fairytale
of New York". Then my wife came out, we went to the chemists - haven't
switched chemists to the new location either, collected her new hormonal
treatment - well, a rerun - as the consultant has switched her back from
chemo due to neuropathy, and headed to the hospital so that she could be
treated.

By the time we got back home afterwards, I didn't feel like going out again
to take more shots at the Monkstown polling station. My student son was
working in a polling station in Dublin, and, indeed, worked on the count the
following day, but I was tied up with other matters. Pity, as the counts are
always photogenic, and, as my first cousin is the Returning Officer for
Dublin City (as Sheriff), so I could have almost had a family get together.

Douglas