Subject: [Leica] M7 body coming - Peter
From: chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Christopher Crawford)
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2016 19:32:08 -0400
References: <37FE8F1A-AD7A-4DA2-92AF-26431CABECCB@icloud.com> <27C934F8-D470-43CA-904A-178BD52B6231@gmail.com> <A05DD0B5-639F-4DE8-9844-939A4997CCDC@icloud.com> <FFDF7FCA-BBED-4DFF-8B7E-B90EF7E165C3@frozenlight.eu> <56E5F0DE.8010004@summaventures.com> <60B72477-A9FE-48D9-B0E6-0471EBA70462@gmail.com> <56E6A630.1000604@summaventures.com> <1886AC64-03A5-4F83-86CE-FCD78A033BB2@icloud.com> <56E72609.4010807@summaventures.com> <3EDE6D2D-C44C-4DB5-83BB-ABBFC870D40A@icloud.com> <CA+FSgq6qjv6d3FYgw=Qe9X3TD_r=wuVY-rAmNJk_azyXX-1v+A@mail.gmail.com> <8A6648C0-5EEB-4FE1-95C1-92D6243F2DCC@cartersxrd.net>

The physical experience only applies if you use old cameras (or old
designs like Leicas). The 35mm film SLRs made from the early 1980s onward,
beginning with the Canon T90 and continuing on through cameras like the
Canon EOS-1, Nikon F5, F100, etc. all had the exact same computerized
control layout as digital SLRs do. I just bought a used Canon EOS-1V and
it handles and works identically to my Canon 5DmkII digital camera. Uusing
that camera gives no difference in ?feel? from shooting digital.

For me the positive for film is that black and white film still gives
superior tonality to that given by digital camera color images converted
to black and white. Leica sells digital cameras with monochrome sensors,
though. I haven?t used one so I can?t comment on how it compares to BW
film.

If you?re shooting color, there is no benefit to film. My 5DmkII gives FAR
better resolution than any 35mm color film, has excellent color, and
doesn?t require expensive processing by out of state labs. There are
currently NO pro-level photo labs left ANYWHERE in Indiana. None.

My last big color film project was in 2011 when I shot 40 rolls of E-6
Fuji Provia 100F in a Hasselblad during a long trip to New Mexico. I sent
them to a well-regarded lab in Chicago, it cost me over $400 for
processing, and many of the films were returned to me with scratches. That
was the last straw, I bought the 5DmkII soon after and have not looked
back.

To me, shooting film is wonderful for BW but for color is inferior to
digital. I just developed my 730th roll of black and white film since
moving back to Indiana in late 2007. I just bought another film SLR. I
shoot a lot of film! I would not bother for color.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography

Become a fan on Facebook

On 3/15/16, 6:46 PM, "LUG on behalf of RicCarter"
<lug-bounces+chris=chriscrawfordphoto.com at leica-users.org on behalf of
ric at cartersxrd.net> wrote:

>I?ve got film in the freezer, and several film cameras I still love.
>
>Now I?m looking forward to some discussion about what it is I can get
>using film I cannot get using digits.
>
>Who wants to start the list of special positives of film use?
>
>I?ll nominate the physical experience: No camera feels as good in use as
>my M4 and M6.
>
>Ric Carter
>

>> On Mar 15, 2016, at 5:48 PM, Jacky aus <jackyaus at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Gerry,
>>
>> Congratulate and appreciate very much you coming back to classic world
>>of
>> film ?? I imagine you will experience the world of another kind in this
>> digital era?.. now, perhaps, we can distinguish the wonderful
>>difference or
>> personal preference between digital or film options?? many years ago, we
>> debate a lot here about which ways we should go for better results or
>>art
>> of photography ?
>>
>> Now, I am so glad that some photography lovers try to explore and
>>reverse
>> back to the film world like travelling in the time tunnel ?.
>>
>> My good friend, recently, spends hours and hours to scan his old films
>>and
>> find lots and lots of excitement in the process, not the digital, but
>>the
>> film images that he have taken and captured so many years ago with his
>> classic camera?
>>
>> I hope you experience this unique world of film which the young
>>generation
>> never has a clue?. For some people, film has become part of photography
>> history running into museum shelf ?
>>
>> Looking forwards to enjoy your scan outcome created by film? that may be
>> why Leica is continuing its legendary vision through production of film
>> camera ?.
>>
>> I still hope and wish that film world can survive at least in our
>> generation or more?..
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Jacky
>>
>> On 15 March 2016 at 08:09, Gerry Walden <gerry.walden at icloud.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I plan to do my own scanning Peter. I am getting good results from my
>>> Plustek so just got to get some images now!
>>>
>>> Gerry
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPad

>>> http://shop.silverprint.co.uk/Fuji-Black-and-White-Film/catalogue/186/

>>> they will

>>> my b&w film processing today. We chatted about the best film to use,
>>>and
>>> his opinion was that Fuji Neopan 400CN is the best now. he said it is
>>>easy
>>> for them to process as it runs through the C41 chemistry, and scans
>>> beautifully. I am currently trying to get hold of some, and chatting to

Message from lluisripollphotography at gmail.com (lluisripollphotography) ([Leica] M7 body coming)
Message from gerry.walden at icloud.com (Gerry Walden) ([Leica] M7 body coming - Lluis)
Message from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] M7 body coming - Lluis)
Message from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] M7 body coming - Lluis)