Subject: [Leica] Software question
From: abridge683 at fastmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2017 11:11:33 -0800

I?m a huge fan of ChronoSync by econ. You can read about it here:

<https://www.econtechnologies.com/chronosync/overview.html
<https://www.econtechnologies.com/chronosync/overview.html>>

It?s incredibly robust and flexible.

That said I also use Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC to its friends) to make full
disk backups of my boot drives and repair partions. It?s good software, well
maintained. Because I got ChronoSync first I haven?t explored using CCC to
simply move directory portions. I have to feel it would do a good job,
however.

One other thing: you want to know if your image files haven?t been corrupted
in some way. (It happens, has happened to me when a disk went seriously
amuck). So I use a utility from diglloyd called IntegrityChecker that
computes a robust checksum for each file in a directory or directory
hierarchy. It works just fine but I?m not a fan of the way its sold. Unlike
CCC or ChronoSync, which get continuous updates through major versions,
diglloyd has a limited window for updates. This stinks. BUT, this is
software that shouldn?t have to be messed with very often, even with the
upcoming change in the Mac?s file system.

You can find the digilloyd tools at: <https://diglloydtools.com
<https://diglloydtools.com/>>

II have a 2013 Mac Pro with a Promise Pegasus2 R6 RAID sitting on a
Thunderbolt external link where I keep non-working images. I have a couple
of SSDs in and OWC Thunderbay IV external Thunderbolt case along with two
other drives. I keep the catalog for Lightroom and my ?working? and current
(this year?s) images on one of the SSDs (a fast Samsung). For backup
purposes I have a drobo connected via FireWire. I use ChronoSync to backup
to the drobo on a routine basis. It just moves the files that have changed.
AND I use Backblaze to backup to their cloud storage (my off-site backup).
It took a LONG time to back everything up and I got stern warnings about
bandwidth use from Comcast while I was doing the backups. If something goes
amiss and you need to restore from the Cloud Backblaze will send you your
data on returnable hard drive(s).

Now that you can buy 8TB of storage for less than $400 it?s silly not to
make a full duplicate of your image library even if making it takes a
weekend.

Adam Bridge

ps: I had to correct myself several times writing 8MB instead of 8TB. My
first hard drive was 10 MB. The CACHE on most hard drives is at least an
order of magnitude larger than that not to mention the caches in the
processor itself. The world has seriously exploded since I started with
computers in the late 70s.

ab