Subject: [Leica] IMG: Testing SL For Milky Way Imaging
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2017 20:09:22 -0400

I?m wondering of the texture of white noise we see at the dark bottom of the
image in what looks like a lake is also happing in the sky filled with white
small starts. We assume it is but I?m thinking maybe it?s not and by far
most of the white dots you?d see at a high mag would be stars not noise.
That?s my theory at least.

--

Mark William Rabiner
Photographer

On 6/21/17, 7:39 PM, "LUG on behalf of Steve Barbour"
<lug-bounces+mark=rabinergroup.com at leica-users.org on behalf of
stevebarbour at mac.com> wrote:

    > On 6/21/2017 4:28 PM, Robert Adler wrote:
    >> Last night I went up to Silver Lake in the Sierras. It's at about
7,800'
    >> elevation. I went to see how the SL with the SL24-90mm would work with
    >> Milky Way photography. The two images were taken at 12,500 ISO @ 24mm,
    >> f/2.8 with a 20second exposure. I shot from 10:30pm until 3:00am...
    >>
    >> Though there is a lot of noise, I don't find it distracting. The
drama of
    >> the center of our galaxy seems to outweigh any noise issues. Please
click
    >> on the image to make it larger to fit your screen:
    >>
    >> http://www.robertadlerphotography.com/p133735760/h8e052599#h8e052599
    >>
    >> I would appreciate others' opinions as to whether or not they find the
    >> noise distasteful or does it look more like film grain. The images
were
    >> post processed in Capture 1.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any opinions in advance,

    First time I looked I felt it was pretty noisy, just looked again came
to a different conclusion. I like it Bob. The "noise" may be due to the vast
number of stars that you have captured,

    WOW !!

    steve

    .