Subject: Re: [Leica] Country of origin OFF-TOPIC
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 07:39:50 -0500

I have just read an account of how Werner Heisenberg (the leading German
physicist leading up to the war) was called in by the SS to explain the
fact that he had Jewish friends, wasn't sufficiently patriotic etc. (all
due to an "anonymous" letter published about him by Stark).  The only thing
that saved Heisenberg was the fact that his mother was a childhood friend
of Himmler's mother, and she intervened on his behalf.   He got off, but
had to disavow himself from any scientific results that may have originated
from Jews.

So even German hero's like Heisenberg who led the German atomic bomb
program were not immune from the Nazis.  And forget about the myth that he
propogated after the war that he intentionally led the German a-bomb
program in the wrong direction.  Not true.

Dan C.

Message from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Country of origin)